Friday, January 14, 2011

The 'Key' To Success

Simply put the greatest 'key' to success on race day is holding on to your keys and not locking them in your car. That is precisely what happened to me on the morning of the Lake Placid America's Cup Race #4 (Day 1 of 2 Races). I tossed my equipment bag in the back seat of my SUV and threw my keys up to the front seat. In the process, I must have bumped the key pad and locked the doors because once I shut the back door I no longer had access into my car. Crap!

It was 7:45, the race started at 9:00am and I was third off. I had to act quick. I immediately called Triple A, who told me someone would be arriving in 30 minutes to unlock my car. That would not give me enough time to get my sled into the parc ferme, the area at the start of the track where all competitive sleds are stored prior to a race. Once the parc ferme closes, athletes are no longer permitted to work on their sleds. I prepared my sled at the Olympic Training Center and sent it along with another group of athletes who placed it in the parc ferme for me. Meanwhile, I waited for Triple A to arrive and began preparing a back-up plan in the event they were not punctual. As mentioned above, my equipment bag was locked in my car with my keys, meaning my helmet, brush spikes, speed suit, gloves, and mouth guard were all out of my possession.

By 8:30 I was acting on Plan B - getting driven to the track by bobsled coach, Mike Kohn. Arriving at the track 15 minutes later, I hurried to gather pieces of equipment from athletes piloting and competing in the race. I got everything together in the knick of time but was not at my optimal performance level. It showed in my first run, which set me back into last place. In the second heat, I bettered the first by well over a second, bumping me up three places and finishing 7th in the pack. Even with two solid runs, a 6th place finish or higher would have been difficult to achieve. On Day 2, I finished with a better combined down time, but landed in the same position - 7th.

I owe a huge thank you to my USA teammates and coaches for their flexibility and assistance in getting me to the race equipped and on time! Teamwork really does have a place in individual sports!

I had a renewed appreciation that day for time and being able to use it to mentally and physically to prepare myself for a race instead of settling personal problems. I learned the value of relaxation, if you do not have it, your performance (down time) will tell you (and the bruises on your body will too). Skeleton is a sport of subtleties and inches. The slightest movements can set your sled into a skid and being a few inches off your intended line can add hundredths and tenths of seconds off your time. You cannot kid yourself about the importance of even the most minor details. Control as many variables as you can in this sport and you will lay the framework for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment